About Me

Saving the world one sole at a time. Check out my thoughts on whatever I feel like writing about.

Monday, March 24, 2008

I'm not with him!!!

Had to ride solo on Saturday (some people will just cancel at the last minute). But it was nice and warm, breezy and 70's. The shorts were on and things were going great, except for my nagging left knee pain, so I was comfortably cruising. Next thing I know, this guy passes me on his bike. The guy doesn't say "hello, on your left, look out fat loser" nothing, not a wave or a grunt or a look back to say "catch me if you can".  Before the guy gets more than 50 feet away, here come two riders up the hill in the opposite direction. He snubs them. I overcompensate by waving hysterically, not wanting them to think I had anything to do with unfriendly guy. At this point I actually want to yell out to let these guys know that i'm not with this guy at all, in no way, shape or capacity am I linked to this guy. He's snob guy and I'm friendly guy. I' a friend to cyclists and animals alike. Did I mention there was a rooster out by the lake that day? He was cock a doodle doing like it was sunup (it was 1:00 PM). Once past the lake, here comes unfriendly guy #2, zips out of the woods on his MOUNTAIN bike, passes me on a slight uphill grade and turns into the county park entrance road. OK, so he passes fat guy with a bad knee on a short uphill! So what? I finished the 30 mile loop. Did he ride 30 miles Saturday?? Probably not! Did he have a sore knee? Nope! Has he overweight by 25 pounds(minimum) no way, Jose! So take that, snobby bike riders!

2 comments:

Brian said...

I'm sorry to hear about your knee. I really hope it's just something like a bruised kneecap (that CAN happen, right?). Anyway, please let me know what they find out.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only overweight athlete out there. I'm 20-25 pounds overweight as well.

About the bike snobs- here's the thing I never understood. Almost every runner I've every run or biked past has been friendly. They'll smile, wave, ask if you need help when the bike is upside down as you change a tire, etc.

Yet cyclists have a pretty good contingent of jerks who seem to think they're better than everyone else. They're rude and, at times, dangerous.

The worst part is that it's not ALL cyclists. But, like for preachers, the bad ones make the whole group look bad.

Am I just imagining the divide between cyclists and runners? Hmmm..

Thank you for the info on IT band issues. I'll do that immediately. Thanks Scott.

Peace,
Brian

Brian said...

So...what's up with the knee and the MRI?